The DLA Architects, Ltd. THINK [about architecture] SCHOLARSHIP is an opportunity for talented graduating students to demonstrate the role that architecture plays in their lives. The specific purpose of the scholarship is:
- to promote an understanding of the built environment and how people interact with it, especially schools;
- to foster a genuine interest in the societal value of architecture as an art form and an enhancement to the general quality of life; and
- to encourage high school students to pursue higher education, especially in architecture.
Candidates are asked to submit creative video responses to show us how they interact with our design and demonstrate what the space makes possible.
The selection process for the DLA Architects, Ltd. THINK [about architecture] SCHOLARSHIP is multi-tiered.
Students compete first at the school level. One student from each school listed will receive a one-time cash award of $500 to be applied to tuition and/or books and materials at a college or university.
Students are also competing at a state level. All $500 recipients will be qualified to compete for this award. One student will be selected as state runner-up, receiving an additional cash award of $500. One student will receive a first place award of an additional $1,000.
The award of the DLA Architects, Ltd. THINK [about architecture] SCHOLARSHIP will be presented by a representative of DLA Architects, Ltd. at an appropriate award ceremony, as designated by the high school personnel.
WHO CAN ENTER?
- Argo Community High School (District 217)
- Video must focus on the Portillo’s Performing Arts Center
- Bartlett High School (School District U-46)
- Video must focus on the Academy for Science, Engineering & Technology OR Classroom next to Home Ec OR Technology Lab next to Academy
- Community High School (Community High School District 94)
- Video must focus on the Science Department
- Dwight Eisenhower High School (Community High School District 218)
- Video must focus on Second Floor Science Classrooms
- Elgin Academy
- Elgin High School (School District U-46)
- Elmwood Park High School (District 401)
- Video must focus on the Band & Chorus Room OR Science Department
- Geneva High School (District 304)
- Harlem High School (Harlem School District 122)
- Homewood Flossmoor Community High School (Homewood Flossmoor School District 233)
- Video must focus on the Synthetic Turf Football Field OR Science Department OR TV Studio OR any area (such as the Cafeteria or Gymnasium) in the North Building
- Hononegah Community High School (Hononegah Community High School District 207)
- Lake Zurich High School (District 95)
- Video must focus on Studio C
- Larkin High School (School District U-46)
- Lemont High School (Lemont Township High School District 210)
- Lincoln-Way Central High School (Lincoln-Way School District 210)
- Lincoln-Way East High School (Lincoln-Way School District 210)
- Lincoln-Way West High School (Lincoln-Way School District 210)
- Lockport Twp. High School (Lockport Township High School District 205)
- Video must focus on the Science Department, Culinary Department or Media Center
- Lyons Twp. High School (Lyons Township High School District 204)
- Marist High School
- Video must focus on the Library, Cafeteria, or Gymnasium
- Mendota High School (Mendota High School District 280)
- Newark High School (District 18)
- Richards High School (Community High School District 218)
- Video must focus on the Science Classrooms, Cafeteria or Performing Arts Center
- Ridgewood High School (Ridgewood High School District 234)
- Video must focus on the Field House or Science Labs or Band Room or Library
- Riverside Brookfield High School (District 208)
- Shepard High School (Community High School District 218)
- Video must focus on the Cafeteria or Science Wing
- South Elgin High School (School District U-46)
- Stillman Valley High School (Meridian School District 223)
- Streamwood High School (School District U-46)
- Warren Township High School – Almond Campus (School District 121)
|1. Students must submit Entry Form with required head shot and video link via the Think (about architecture) Scholarship website.||
Before April 5, 2019
|2. YouTube views/likes tallied for School Level Competition.||
April 10, 2019 at 1 pm
|3. YouTube views/likes tallied for State Level Competition.||
June 6, 2019 at 1 pm
Recipients of the DLA Architects, Ltd. THINK [about architecture] SCHOLARSHIP will be selected by the Scholarship Committee at DLA Architects. The Scholarship Committee will take the following factors into consideration when evaluating student video submissions.
Relevance to DLA: How well the video tells the story of how the space is received by students and how the architecture affects learning
Creativity: Originality, uniqueness, and ingenuity demonstrated in the video
View Count: Number of views the video receives as determined by the YouTube media player
Ratings: Overall rating the video receives by other YouTube users
This scholarship is limited to high schools served by DLA Architects, Ltd. and is extended, on an annual basis, to schools designated by the principals of the firm.